Tips about Moving and Moving Services
Moving to a new residence, relocating to another city or even moving your things when you leave Korea for good, is not a complicated task, especially if you know the proper steps to take before moving. Below are some tips that you can to take into account for a convenient move:
- You have to inform the owner of your current house or apartment that you are moving from, at least one month before you move. This will give the owner of the house some time to find a replacement, and also give you enough time to settle house expenses like water, electricity bill, and of course get your key money.
- Ten days prior to moving, you should contact the telephone company to have your telephone number moved, changed, or cut.
- When packing your things, you can buy cardboard boxes (golpanji sangja) which are available in a supermarket (free) or a retail store for a small fee. Be sure to secure the valuables inside the box, like using bubble wrap.
- When contracting a ‘Packaging Moving’ company, they provide services ranging from packaging to unpacking, so there is no need to pack in advance.
Types of Relocation Services
1. Standard relocation service (일반 이사) (5 ton truck costs approx. 350,000 won)
The mover packs his/her own things, and the company provides a vehicle and driver. The company will move large items, but the mover must unpack his/her own things. It is the most economical way to make a move; most suitable when you don’t have too many things.
2. Complete relocation service (포장 이사) (5 ton truck costs approx. 450,000 won-500,000 won)
The service provider will pack, transport, unpack, and arrange all your belongings. Large and small items alike will be packed and transported. This method is more expensive, but most suitable for busy people.
3. Store-then-relocate service
Service providers will store your things in a container or garage until you can make the move. It is more expensive than normal relocation.
4. Royal relocation (900,000 won – 1,300,000 won)
It is a near-perfect relocation service. The service provider will pack and unpack your things, and also clean your new house when it’s done. It is about twice as expensive as normal relocation, but also means you don’t have to do anything, other than call them.
When you contract one of these moving services, you have to ask for an estimate. Estimates should be made at least seven days before the day you intend to move. Consultations by moving companies may be given either over the telephone or through a visit by a company employee. If possible, have someone from the company with the authority to make an estimate, visit your home to give you a more accurate estimate. The employee will explain what kind of vehicle will be required to move your belongings, how much the move will cost, the methods the company’s employees will use, and how long the move should take. He will also explain the basis used to calculate the overall cost.
Signing a contract
If you find the proposed cost and method of moving reasonable, you should then sign a contract with the moving company. There must be a written contract to assure your rights as a consumer are respected.
If any of your belongings are damaged or lost in the course of moving, get a written confirmation of the fact there has been property lost at the site in which this has occured, or take pictures of damaged goods, if you think it is necessary. Contact the moving company immediately to demand compensation for damages.
If you had more than one moving company issue you an estimate, be sure to contact the company with which you have not signed a contract, to make sure everything has been canceled. Otherwise, you may be required to pay a penalty for breach of contract if two moving companies show up the day you plan to move.
Days with no Son (손 없는 날)
In Korea, people prefer to move on “days where there is no son “손 없는 날”. It refers to a spirit that is said to wander disrupting human activity and causing harm, but only on certain days. On the 9th, 10th, 19th, 20th, 29th, and 30th day of each month on the lunar calendar, the ‘son’ ascends to the Heavens, so these days are called “days with no son”. Since moving companies have most of their reservations land on days with no son, you should make your reservations as early as possible.
Procedures for moving overseas
The cost of shipped freight is determined not by weight but by size, while the cost of air freight is calculated by weight instead of size. Though there will be differences depending on the shipping company and the time it takes to pass customs in the area you are moving to, shipping usually takes the following time:
- Domestic (packing, transportation, customs, shipping, insurance): 7 to 10 days
- Shipping by sea :
- Southeast Asia: 3 to 10 days,
- Western North America: 14 to 20 days
- Eastern, middle North America: 25 to 30 days
For more information contact Construction & Housing Affairs Division in Construction Bureau at +82-62-613-4812.
By Marie (Mheng) Pascual Igwe
For more information on Real Estate Agencies, please refer to ‘Living in Gwangju’ -> ‘Household Issue’ section